Recipe provided by Chef Melanie Hammericksen, Double 8 Cattle Company Contributor
- 1 Package of Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu beef Chorizo (cut into 1/4-inch coins)
- 1/2 LB Prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 LB Clams (cleaned)
- 1/2 LB Mussels (debearded)
- 1/2 LB Calamari Tubes and Tentacles (slice the tubes if they are whole)
- 4 Boneless Chicken Thighs (cut into pieces)
- 1/4 CUP Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Small Onion (small diced)
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Red or Yellow Peppers (diced)
- 4-5 Tomatoes (diced and divided)
- 2 CUPS Paella or Bomba Rice
- 1 TSP Saffron Threads
- 1 QT Fish or Chicken Stock
- 1/2 CUP Frozen Peas
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
PREPARING THE PAELLA
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Boil the chicken (or fish) stock in a saucepan. Then, turn off the heat, and add the saffron.
Heat the grapeseed oil in a paella pan.
Season chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sear the chicken in the hot grapeseed oil until brown.
Remove the chicken from the pan, and set aside.
Add the Fullblood Wagyu beef Chorizo to the pan, and brown.
Add the onions, minced garlic cloves, diced peppers, and half of the diced tomatoes.
Stir constantly until moisture has evaporated.
Add the rice, saffron, chicken, and chicken (or fish) stock.
Bring everything back to a boil.
Then, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and place the pan in oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Pull the paella pan from the oven, and check the rice for doneness.
Arrange the prawns, clams, calamari, and mussels atop the rice in the paella pan.
Return the paella pan (uncovered) to the oven, and continue to cook. Watch the dish while it’s cooking.
Once the clams and mussels have opened and the prawns are pink, pull the paella pan out of oven.
Sprinkle the peas and remaining portion of the diced tomatoes on top.
Serve immediately, and enjoy!