Recipe provided by Chef Melanie Hammericksen, Double 8 Cattle Company Contributor
- 2 Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu Chuck Mock Tender
- 2 TBSP Grapeseed Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 QT Beef Stock
- 1 CUP Medium Pearled Barley (rinsed in cool water and drained)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Celery Stalks (cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 Carrots (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 OZ Tomato Paste
- 2 TSP Fresh Thyme
- 2 (14 OZ) Cans Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar (to season)
- Kosher Salt (to season)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to season)
PREPARING THE FULLBLOOD WAGYU BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
Season the Fullblood Wagyu chuck mock tenders with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Slice the chuck mock tender into 1 1/2 inch cubes (doesn’t have to be that exact size).
Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a large Dutch oven.
When hot, add the pieces of chuck mock tender to the Dutch oven, and sear meat on all sides until deeply caramelized.
Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until slightly browned.
Stir in the tomato paste, and let it cook for 3 minutes longer, until fragrant.
Add the beef stock, minced garlic, rinsed barley, fresh thyme, and 2 (14 ounce) cans of fire roasted tomatoes.
Bring the soup (all ingredients in the Dutch oven) to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook gently for about 2 hours.
Season the soup with balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Pour the soup into individual bowls, serve, and enjoy!