Recipe provided by Chef Melanie Hammericksen, Double 8 Cattle Company Contributor
- 5 lbs Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu Beef Short Ribs (cut into 4-ounce portions)
- 1 1/2 Cups Soy Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Mirin
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 Five-inch Stalks of Lemongrass (halved and smashed)
- 2 TBSP Ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 1 TSP Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 TBSP Sambal Oelek (chili garlic sauce)
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Navel Orange (cut in half and then into half-inch pieces)
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro (stems for braising and leaves for folding into the jasmine rice)
- 3 Cups Cooked Jasmine Rice
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
SEARING THE SHORT RIBS
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Season short ribs with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Heat 2 TBSP of high-temperature oil in a stainless steal sauté pan. Once the oil is hot, add 3-4 pieces of short ribs.
Let short ribs brown on all sides, then move them to a Dutch oven or a pan with high sides (3-4 inches high) to braise in.
Repeat with the remaining short ribs.
PREPARING THE BRAISING LIQUID
Mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, lemongrass, ginger, brown sugar, water, beef stock, hoisin, green onion, crushed red pepper, mirin, Sambal Oelek, lemon juice, orange slices, cilantro stems, and orange juice.
Pour the liquid in the pan over the short ribs. The liquid needs to be covering at least 3/4 of the short ribs.
Braise the short ribs, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees.
Remove from the oven, take off lid or aluminum foil, turn short ribs over, and place lid/covering back in place. Braise for an additional 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bones.
Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
Drain the fat off of the braising liquid and discard. Place the remaining braising liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (watch this carefully so it doesn’t burn). Reduce the liquid until only about 2-3 cups remain. Strain through a fine-meshed strainer, discarding the solids.
Return the short ribs and the reduced sauce to the stockpot or Dutch oven, coating the short ribs well with the sauce.
Bake for 10 minutes, until the short ribs are heated through and slightly glazed.
Fold chopped cilantro and orange zest into cooked Jasmine rice.
Serve short ribs warm over cilantro orange jasmine rice.
Serve and enjoy!